Frederick Robert Shadbolt founded the family firm of F R Shadbolt & Sons Ltd in London in 1884, producing decorative inlays for the furniture trade. In 1900 our first veneering service was offered to cabinet makers following the installation of a hand press. This innovative investment in machinery was to become the foundation of the company's future expansion. In 1947 we moved to London's North Circular Road at Chingford, and the third generation of the family took over the running of the business.
In the 1960s and 1970s we developed the high performance architectural and building products which are now our main output. We also built up our stock of decorative veneers for which the company has become so well known. By the end of the 1970s the third generation handed over to the fourth. Since then, the current directors have continued to modernise the business, with the emphasis on guaranteed customer service which is second to none within the industry. The century old foundations upon which the company stands will enable us to continue building in the 21st century.
Our move to Braintree (close to the M11 and Stansted Airport) has enabled us to introduce further enhancement of our manufacturing facilities.
- Computer numerical control (CNC) of manufacturing processes.
- Fully integrated computerised bar code system - every manufactured item is assigned a unique identity with bar coding, allowing it to be tracked through the factory in real time.
- Investment in new cutting, sanding and finishing equipment, with a greatly expanded finishing shop.
- Automatic handling equipment for a safer working environment.
- All wood waste is now burned on site to heat the factory, reducing the need for landfill disposal.