THE HARLEY GALLERY, WELBECK
Set up in 1977 by the Duchess of Portland, The Harley Gallery aims to encourage the enjoyment of the visual arts and celebrate the handmade. The gallery is home to the Portland Collection of fine and decorative art, which will be displayed from 2016 in a new purpose built facility. A grade one museum facility, The Harley Gallery has won a Civic Trust Award for Architecture and a Tourist Board Special Award for Excellence. The gallery opened in 1994, being constructed within the ruins of the Welbeck Estate gasworks. The gasworks were originally built in 1860 by the 5th Duke of Portland to light his network of underground tunnels and apartments. The building reflects its industrial past, captures the grandeur of Welbeck and provides a beautiful backdrop for exhibitions. Shadbolt supplied straight grain European Oak archways to separate gallery areas, as well as secret veneered doors.